Established in 1995 since the opening of the West Palm Beach VA Medical Center, The Friends of the Fisher House is a 501 (c) (3) local non profit that supports the various needs the WPB Fisher House, veterans and families.
The West Palm Beach VA Medical Center Fisher House provides lodging to families with loved ones receiving care at the medical center.
WPB Fisher House underwent a refurbishment in FY14 which consisted of the following:
- New interior window coverings
- New carpet
- New bathrooms – Tile, shower enclosures, vanities, mirrors
- Interior and exterior painting
- New furniture throughout the Fisher House
- New lighting
- New linen
Facts and Figures for Fiscal Year 2014:
- 968 families accommodated
- 3001 nights of lodging provided
- 94% average occupancy
- Saved families over $357,000 in lodging costs alone
- Since opening in 1995, we have accommodated 13,208; saving guests over $4,715,300 in lodging costs alone
- WPB Fisher House is celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year.
- There are 65 Fisher Houses in the Fisher House Program.
- Overall, the Fisher House Program served 25,000 families in FY 14 and provided 5.8 million days of lodging, saving families $282,000,000 in lodging costs.
- There are 7 new Fisher Houses currently under construction, and several others in the planning stages.
The National Fisher House organization has:
(26) VA Fisher Houses at (24) medical centers
(38) DOD Fisher Houses at (24) military hospitals and medical centers
(1) Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, UK
and… 852 room night available each day.